Friday, December 18, 2009

Chapter 16: The Brothers Strike



Sixteen
The Brothers’ Strike

Nargothrond fell under a strange spell when Lúthien escaped. There was a tension and fear among the populace. Both Orodreth and the Sons of Fëanor sent out search parties, but their searches were fruitless. Orodreth always reported back to reassure the realm that although she had not been found, all was well. There were no evidence that she had been captured or killed. Celegorm and Curufin were strangely absent, but rumors were whispered that they had failed to guard Lúthien and that Huan was also missing. This frightened the small folk all the more, for Huan was known as well as the prophecy regarding him. Since he could not be destroyed by anything more or less than the mightiest of wolves, he guaranteed a certain amount of confidence and security for Nargothrond. Because Celegorm never denied the rumors and Huan was not seen at his side, it was assumed that it must be so.
Those that had once admired the brothers were puzzled by their behavior. Orodreth’s supporters took courage in their hearts and their numbers grew. Those that had silently despised the brothers now criticized them openly and demanded to know the true purpose for the captivity of Lúthien and why their own hound was thought responsible for her escape. Was it possible that it was part of some grand scheme between the four of them? If so, it was a perilous game to play. None of it made sense, it was unnatural and suspicious.
Thingol’s messengers arrived to the city just as the first of the refugees from Sauron’s Isle did. Among the messengers was Mablung and Gelmir. Arminas recognized them first and they realized a grand opportunity. He clothed them in the garb of the liberated thralls and they joined their ranks so that they were taken for refugees and not the eyes and ears of Thingol and Melian. The wardens of Nargothrond only recognized those prisoners that they personally knew and, knowing they would each have much to say, sent all of them straightaway to Orodreth and the council. What was more, Huan of Valinor himself had led them there which raised more questions than answers.
Celegorm and Curufin were present at the council, and when Huan entered with the thralls, Celegorm was relieved, but none could say that he was glad. The hound did not look up at his master but sat at his side. Celegorm did not know what to make of his sudden return. Now was not the time to question him about Lúthien, unfortunately. The council was concerned with the prisoners first.
Curufin studied each face and frowned, “Not all of these waywards are our folk. We should have only brought into the city those that we know.”
“Would you then have let them idly wander the long miles without seeing to their needs or hurts or even providing shoes upon their sore feet for the road?” Orodreth snapped, his patience with the brothers had long since worn thin. “Nargothrond is not so exclusive and indifferent to those in need as you may have been in your own lands. These people have suffered enough at the hands of Sauron! I will treat them as I would my own brother. One may have information of his fate as well as Beren and the company that set out with them.”
“And what of Sauron’s Isle?” the council asked. “We must know how they all escaped from that foul place. We occasionally get an escaped thrall even from the Thrall Vaults of Angband, but never so many all at once! Something extraordinary has happened.”
Food and drink was brought out and served to the refugees, healers were sent amongst them, and fresh clothing was provided too. The brothers were anxious to question them concerning Finrod and Sauron. Orodreth would have allowed those that had family within the city to seek them first, but Celegorm suddenly interrupted.
“You four there! You look strangely familiar.”
“As do you,” one of the strangers looked up at him.
“Why do you not partake of the charity offered and stand apart from the others?”
“We come not for charity but for tidings of all that has passed. On our way here and waiting upon your good graces we have heard the small folk at their gossip and questioned a good deal more and we have become confused. Most concerned yourself, Prince Celegorm, and your brother.”
Curufin leaned forward at that, but Celegorm made no sign. There was an uncomfortable silence. All eyes were upon the brothers and the four refugees. Mablung sensed their discomfort, however, and prodded more. Orodreth was smiling ear to ear, thoroughly enjoying it all.
“They say that you have a fancy for the throne.”
Celegorm let out a calm cold laugh, “The small folk may desire me crowned, but it is not known yet if Finrod is dead or alive and no one sits upon his throne. It would be arrogant to do so. Orodreth was named steward, but not his successor, and should he be unfit and the crown offered, I would not be proud and refuse it. After all, by rights it should pass to us. We are of the eldest line.”
“What if I told you that Finrod were dead and that with his last breath declared you his heir?”
“I would need only three witnesses to confirm it to be true.”
“And what if he had declared Orodreth instead?”
“Then Nargothrond would be in peril, for I do not believe him the wise choice.”
“And what if Finrod declared you a traitor?”
Curufin lurched to his feet with a hand on his hilt while Mablung and his own unveiled and strung their bows in a small series of graceful gestures.
“Stop this!” Orodreth roared. “Who are you and what is the meaning behind this?”
“I am Mablung of Doriath and now speak with Thingol’s voice! The Sons of Fëanor are traitors in our eyes and we have come for our heir! She is Thingol’s alone to give, and we will not suffer to give her to the arms of any of the sons of Fëanor. Where are you hiding Princess Lúthien? What terrible things have you in store for her and for Nargothrond? Orodreth! If ever you loved your uncle and cared for the friendship of the Sindar, aid us in our cause! This is your last chance! Return Lúthien to us now or forever sever your ties with Doriath! And if you refuse and we are slain or held captive, there shall be war!”
“How dare you act as spies and thieves!” Curufin hissed.
“We have done nothing but observe under the banner of travelers rather than royal messengers and found more truth than ever we could have through normal means. Now bring Lúthien!”
Celegorm laughed again. It had been to their fortune that Lúthien had escaped after all, “I fear that you are too late.”
“You cannot mean that you have already wed locked her!”
Now Mablung had half a mind to slit Celegorm’s throat himself. The thought of Lúthien who was to him almost one of his own daughters forced upon was too much.
“Lúthien is lost.”
Mablung’s jaw dropped open comically and then he fumed, “LOST?! You lost the princess? You…” he stopped himself and glared.
“But how?” Gelmir demanded.
Curufin glanced at his brother, and Celegorm answered, “Lúthien Tinúviel escaped from Nargothrond just recently.”
“Escaped?” Mablung stormed. “Lúthien escaped from this city, this city, which is supposed to be the most heavily guarded fortress in all of Beleriand? How did she escape? When did she escape? What have you done about it?”
“We believe she was aided by another. One of our own in fact,” Celegorm said with a piercing glance at Huan. “My brother and I have never ceased searching for her since.”
“There is no need, Celegorm, you have done quite enough! The least that you could have done was guard her safely and prevented her escape! If you loved her so, why could you not contain her?”
“I kept her under guard. I did all I could to keep her here until some began to call her my prisoner!” Celegorm defended.
“You child of Morgoth. Because of you, our princess could be dead now!”
“Let your king know this then: If I find Lúthien before your people do, she shall be my wife. That is a promise.”
Mablung said heatedly, “If it were not for the fear of the curse of the Kinslaying, I would kill you now! ”
“So be it!” Celegorm sneered. “The Sindar have made bitter enemies of us!”
But Orodreth said, “My people shall aid in the search for your heir. By now, all of the elf-kingdoms shall be searching for her.”
“Lúthien Tinúviel is not lost!” one child stood up among the refugees. “She is the one that freed us all with the aid of the great hound at your feet.”
“It is true,” the other refugees confirmed what the boy said. “Finrod is dead, we fear, but Lúthien subdued Sauron, reclaimed Minis Tirith, and found Beren alive!”
There was an uproar at this of shock and amazement. There were cries of grief for Finrod and some turned to each other and remarked at Lúthien’s deeds. None were more shocked than Celegorm. He turned sharply to Huan.
“What are these wild stories? Did you indeed release Lúthien behind my back and rescue my sworn enemy?”
The hound made no response but pretended to have fallen asleep long ago. Celegorm had half a mind to kick him then and there.
Mablung laughed mockingly and said, “A single maiden has done something that the Sons of Fëanor could not, deemed the mightiest of princes. They insisted that it could not be done and did not even attempt to save their liege lord though they surely could have prevented his death. If only Thingol had not delayed his daughter, and if the Noldor had not allowed her captivity, she might have even had time to save King Finrod. We have all paid dearly for doubting her, none more so than Finrod. And yet the brothers admit his death would surely be their victory and Celegorm would wed Lúthien against the will of her father and probably her own to cement his claim and subdue Doriath herself.”
Celegorm and Curufin realized that their plot was revealed. Someone shouted for their immediate arrest and grabbed his sword, backed by Mablung, and all cried out for revenge for allowing Finrod and his companions to die and for Lúthien’s honor. But Orodreth spoke and for the first time spoke with the voice of a king.
“They must not be slain, for some of my own blood would spill upon the floor and Finrod’s too. The spilling of kindred blood will bind the curse of Mandos more closely about us all, and it is evil. Yet here after, the Sons of Fëanor shall be granted neither bread nor rest within my lands. I charge you, Celegorm and Curufin, with kidnapping, high treason, and provoking needless war. I know not what else to call it. Your lies have been uncovered. You are to leave Nargothrond and return to your own lands within twenty-four hours! Little love shall there be between my people and yours, Celegorm. Do not show your smiling face in these lands again, or sooner or later, someone shall kill you and your brother! Flee while you still can.”
Let it be so!” said Celegorm and his eyes were burning with wrath, but Curufin smiled.
“Then we shall leave for our own lands and our own kin, and we shall take those that are still faithful to the house of Fëanor,” he said. “Good luck on your search for the princess, although, you shall never find her.”
“None of my people shall go with you,” Orodreth replied, laughing. “The curse of Mandos lies heavily upon you two.”
“And the curse of Fëanor shall lie seven times over upon you and both your kingdoms, Thingol and Orodreth!”
The brothers gathered up whatever folk they could, but Orodreth spoke the truth. Only those that originally served the Sons of Fëanor answered their call. The citizens of Nargothrond cursed them to their face. Curufin went to fetch his son, Celebrimbor, and demanded that he come with him and his kinsman, but the young Elf refused.
“Do you think that I would so eagerly follow in your ways?” the youth asked.
“What ways? They have no substantial proof for their accusations. We did not murder Finrod. He killed himself listening to that mortal. We never harmed Lúthien either.”
“Evil ways, father, and I saw you strike Lúthien myself. I was loyal to Finrod, and I will now be loyal to Orodreth. I was once loyal to you, but no longer. Alas! No longer! I am not your son. Now leave while the vengeful are stayed!”
“Nonsense. You are my son, and I shall not let you stay here. You are coming with me to Himring to join your uncles there.”
Celebrimbor fumbled at his belt for his sword and answered, “Please. I do not want to kill you, so leave now. The least I can do is pray for you when I remember you. There may yet be hope for you. Now, I have said my farewells. I could not bear to do it again.”
Curufin was stunned into silence. His own son had rejected him, and then, a great fire of hate was flamed in his heart. Celebrimbor remained in Nargothrond and was not ostracized for his father’s deeds. He became in later days the same Elvin-smith that forged the Three Rings of Power.
*******
“Beren? Beren, where are you?” she cried, springing to her feet.
“Over here!” she heard him answer.
“Where?”
“At the stream!”
She joined him where he sat. He was very silent, and for several long breaths they merely watched the stream flow by noisily.
“I had to come here and think. I have a grave decision to make,” Beren said grimly.
“What is it that you are thinking about, Beren?” she asked.
“Honestly, I was thinking about what would happen if I were to lose you again.”
“Aw,” Lúthien laughed. “Really? That is so sweet of you.”
She leaned in to kiss him, but Beren frowned and rose to his feet. Lúthien's smile faded.
“Beren, what is it? Why are you drawing away from me? What have I done? I am sorry if I laughed-”
“Listen, Tinúviel. I am not angry with you, and I am not drawing away from you. When I told you that I was thinking about what I would do if I were to lose you, I was being dead serious.”
“What do you mean if you were to lose me? I thought this was your quest, therefore, I should worry for you.”
“That is not true. You want to come with me to Angband, of course?”
“Well, I cannot leave you alone!”
“I love you for wanting to come with me, but I must admit,” Beren told her with a sigh. “It would kill me if Morgoth were to capture you. Chances are, he will eventually destroy you. That is why I have been thinking...”
“What? What have you been thinking?” Lúthien asked.
“I am wondering if we should stay here like wild beasts in the forests together, or if I should risk the Quest. We would bear much shame and regret if we chose the first, especially me. I cannot allow one so fair or one as royal as you to live the way I lived for so long as a man; no more than a boy, actually. I want to complete the Quest and attempt to bring back a Silmaril, but I am not sure if I want you to come with me.”
“You mean that you would go alone?”
“Yes. That is exactly what I am saying.”
“What?” Lúthien could not believe her ears.
“I might send you home. Home, to the land of Doriath. Home, to where you belong.”
“Send me home? Send me away from you?”
“Yes. Yes, in fact, I have already decided. I am going to send you back to Doriath. This quest is too dangerous for you.”
“And yet it was I that rescued you from the pit and cast down mighty Sauron from our lands!
“With Huan’s help. I will take you home.”
“Beren, no! How can I let you go on alone? You will have no one there to help you when the time comes. No one can pass through the halls of Morgoth alone without being caught.”
“Tinúviel, I am but a mortal! I cannot change fate!”
“Perhaps not. Certainly not alone. But together, you and I, we can change fate.”
“We are not challenging fate alone! We might be challenging pure evil and divinity! Morgoth is much more than anything you could possibly come up against. He is the father of evil, and you cannot fight him. Sauron was a sorcerer, but Morgoth was his master. Morgoth is almost a god! Besides, I know I should be angry with you for coming after me to face Sauron! You risked more than your life out there, but I cannot be angry with you. I love you too much, and that is another reason why I will not allow you to come with me to face Morgoth.”
“How could I have not come for you while you were deep in a pit and near death? Was I supposed to wallow in grief or whimper like a little girl?”
“I admit it: I would have done the same for you, Tinúviel, but your father sent me on this Quest to prove that I was worthy of your love. If I am constantly putting you into danger by allowing you to follow me, I am not worthy of you. You almost got yourself killed coming here. I cannot stand the thought of you in such peril. You may be able to sleep soundly now, but I have not been able to sleep since we came to the lands of Sauron. At first, I was dreaming of what may be happening to you in Doriath. Now, I have nightmares at the thought of all the danger you put yourself into coming after me and of the danger you are all too willing to face for me now, and it is tearing me apart.” “Beren, you are not making any sense of what you are saying. Who is speaking to me now? You cannot be the Beren that I once knew!”
“Perhaps I have changed. Perhaps I am not as selfish as I was before.”
“You say that Morgoth is too much for me,” Lúthien argued. “Think of all the dangers I have been through combined! Every step I took to find you! If that does not match to Morgoth, then I do not know what does. Even if Morgoth is too much for me, the danger is ten times worse for you, and I am not going to leave your side ever again. I already made the mistake of letting you go without me into peril once. I will not make that mistake again.”
“Through half of the dangers, you were in safe lands and-”
“Safe?” Lúthien laughed grimly. “Beren, I was not even safe among my own family!”
“But none would have caused you harm. The other half of the time on your journey, you had Huan to protect you. So go back to your people. I shall end the Quest myself. I can promise you that.”
Lúthien snickered. Her voice steadily began to rise as she said, “The last time you made a promise like that, and you were torn from my arms, you ended up in one of Sauron's pits with a wolf! I was the only one upon this earth that could save you and I did! You think anyone else will come to you once you are lost in the halls of Angband where there is neither hope nor light! Your allies are dead! Finrod is gone. Only I remain, and I will not be got rid of so easily!”
She paused for breath, and Beren watched her as she fumed. He could not help himself. A small smile crept upon his lips. She seemed to have changed so much since their happy days in Neldoreth. She had once been a sweet and innocent maid, her father’s sheltered pet and an ornament to her realm. Now she was more like to a fierce shield-maiden, perilously beautiful with an iron will. For a moment he was afraid that she had also developed a heart of ice.
He reached out and she drew away for a moment, then she flung herself into his arms. He began stroking her face. Her skin was smooth and soft, but he knew that underneath that softness, there was a spirit of omnipotent strength. He wondered if it had always been so. Then he remembered that she had given him Iavas, her wild stallion, to ride, and she had faced Orcs when she was a little girl and barely escaped from them. She had often left Menegroth in secret for years against her father’s orders, simply to dance beneath the sacred moon and stars.
She faced me too, Beren thought with a smile, despite her father’s warnings. She had sought to understand what she feared, and she had grown to love me, why I have yet to understand and probably never will.
Lúthien stood on tiptoe and kissed him, and he saw that she had not yet lost that sweetness and innocence. Despite the betrayals and the ordeals, she was indeed the same person he loved.
“Yes,” he said tenderly. “You will not give up without a fair fight, and I admire you greatly for your courage, Tinúviel. You have perhaps more courage and certainly more hope than I have for this mad Quest, and I love you for wanting so desperately to come with me, but I cannot suffer it. This is not your Quest, but mine alone, and the burden is mine alone, and the choice is mine as to who I may allow to come with me or not.”
“Do you at last realize that I have great hope for you and that I truly do love you? That is why I will not leave you. You cannot send me back any longer. We have gone too far upon the road, and we are together now. Why must we separate again? Our last parting was more than I could bear!”
“If you come with me, you might be making a parting from your kindred and your old way of life forever.”
“I knew, of course, what I could be risking in order to love you from the beginning; indeed since the very moment that I first met you. I anguished over you, and I knew that I might be sacrificing even my immortality. But that does not matter now, for I made my choice long ago.”
“I will not let you sacrifice so much!”
“Too late.”
Beren opened his mouth, but he realized there were no words, and Lúthien kneeled before his feet and surprised him.
“My Father gave you a choice, Beren, that you would attempt the Quest by your own free will or not. He has no power over you. Therefore, why go at all? As long as you do not continue, I shall leave and return to Doriath, though you would have to clap me in chains, for I no longer give in to begging, and I will not leave you. We could... We could... We could stay here.”
And then Lúthien looked up at him suddenly, a hopeful look in her face. She had contrived something just then.
“We could stay here in the forest of Brethil, Beren,” she said in a sweet voice. “We could stay here forever. We could make our home here and live together in peace and not have to trouble with the Enemy, or with my Father, or any other concern of The Marred World at all! This is a fair domain, and it is still untouched by evil. It is the perfect place to settle down, you and I.”
She kissed him then, and he smiled. Perhaps they could stay in happy exile, for he did not dare to even dream of succeeding and winning a Silmaril.
After all, he thought to himself. It is she that I have always desired, not the Silmaril. He would be with Lúthien in this way, and she would be safe. But he knew this could not be.
Beren hardened his heart, and he said, “That would only cause us shame.”
“Then we must relinquish the Quest, and notice that I said we, for I am not leaving you! I am not!”
“Did you ever think that if you were to go home-”
“I am not doing it! I will not leave you!”
“You would see your mother and father again! Your people? You would even see Daeron. You told me that you were worried about him, and that he loved you. If I were in his place, I would be searching the entire Wild to find you. You could end his search for you. All you have to do is go home. At least then I shall have the small comfort of knowing that you are safe. I need someone to go to Thingol and tell him that I am alive and fit to redeem my oath. You can do that for me.”
“My Father would probably send assassins after you at that news! And you know that the moment I arrive, they may marry me off to Celegorm? I may meet the princes there waiting for me!”
“What?”
“My Father had been looking for a new suitor for me! What do you think he will decide when Celegorm tramps in there and makes vows under heaven to keep me safe and coveted as his wife! What would you be able to do about that if he took me as his bride? Do you know what I would do?”
Beren did not answer. He shook his head.
“You know, Tinúviel, maybe it would be better if you did marry Celegorm,” he said at last.
“What? Beren, what are you saying! How could you come up with such absurd notions? Perhaps you were down in the dark for too long!”
“Celegorm loves you, and he is your own kind. He is also a prince,” Beren said with an effort. “It makes perfect sense; he is your equal. Perhaps our love was never meant to be.”
“Our love never meant to be? Us not equal? Perhaps that is true the way you think you could send me away like this! After all we have been through, you doubt our love? Do you love me at all?”
Beren suddenly pulled her to him and kissed her passionately.
“Does that answer your question? I love you more than anything in this world. You have always known that. Never doubt it! I may even love you too much. You love me too much. A sorry thing was my first love for you, the innocent hope of a child that scarcely knows what he has found. But the days lengthened and in our precious moments I learned at your gentle hand how to give you of myself entire, to deserve your love, or so I dreamed. How we laughed and sang in those months of bliss, when we walked together among the tees and the golden elanor, and lived a lifetime in a single season! But do you see that I still fear our meetings, fool that I am? That one day I shall come to you, and you will shun me like yesterday's fruit, left to shrivel on the vine, not worthy even to fall at your feet? See; you can always reduce me to a timid, trembling thing, who have commanded armies and slain many foes. Oh to be worthy! I fear that even now I have not earned your esteem, fairest. Your footsteps dance like sunlight on the new rain until the world dances with you.”
“I could never love you too much, Beren. In fact, I still am not sure if I love you as much as I should. You risked your life for me, and that is why I will never leave you, no matter what you say or do. You know as well as I that I have no love for Celegorm. He is far too powerful and power seeking. Compared to him, I am but a child. I do not care if they have me wedded to an Elf such as King Finrod and make me the most powerful queen upon all the earth! The point that I am trying to get through that thick head of yours is that I will not leave you and nothing you say will dissuade me of that!”
“But, Tinúviel, there are Balrogs there. There are treacherous mazes filled with monsters and traps of every kind. If you were to be caught, which is more than likely, Morgoth has quite a museum of torture devices for his prisoners. He would set you in one of those just to hear the sound of you screaming!”
“Is that supposed to frighten me?” Lúthien answered boldly.
“I had hoped it would, but you are too fearless. It is your one flaw. But let me tell you a little something about Morgoth. He captured Gelmir, brother of Gwindor and then put him to death in front of Eithel Sirion, but he did not just put him to death. He called all the hosts of Elves to witness and had Gelmir brought out and chained him upon an altar. I was there with my father, not yet full-grown. Then several Orcs picked up large, rusted saws, and they maimed his body. First, they cut off first his legs, and then his arms, and then they ripped open his breast and took out his beating heart. I think he suffered until then, and they chopped away his head.”
Lúthien winced. “I knew of Gelmir’s execution. I know also that it was a provocation to the Elves. It worked. That was when the Battle of Bragollach began.”
“Now do you still wish to come?”
“Of course.”
“But you cannot!”
“Behold!” Lúthien cried, her voice commanding, and she seemed suddenly to grow taller and more menacing.
Then Beren realized, She is the daughter of a Queen and a Maia.
“The choice has indeed fallen upon you now, Beren! You must choose to relinquish your quest and challenge the might and power of Morgoth or take up a life of wandering, as a wild beast, as you put it, hunted by his servants forevermore so that you shall never be free of evil. But wherever you go, Beren, and whatever road you choose, I want you to know this: I will follow you there. I shall pursue you to the ends of the earth and to the world beyond. Believe me, I will follow you, and our dooms shall be alike.”
They were both silent after Lúthien had said this. Beren was pondering everything Lúthien had said, and she was waiting for his answer. At last, Beren was too overwhelmed to argue, and when she opened her mouth to say something, he stopped her by kissing her.
“I will be awake all through the night now,” he murmured. “But I think I should begin the hunt, or we will have nothing to eat.”
Then Beren took up his bow, but Lúthien frowned.
“Go on and avoid me and delay the choice further!” she said heatedly. “I am tired of this debate, and I expect an answer when you come back!”
Beren walked into the trees while Lúthien dipped her hands into the water to wash her hands and splash her face. The water was cold, so she puffed and spluttered, but she felt refreshed.
Then Lúthien noticed something and stared into the water. She saw the reflection of a face, but it was not Beren's. She gasped and almost fell into the stream in her astonishment.
It was Celegorm and Curufin.
******
Lúthien sprang back from Celegorm and his brother, splashing water. She felt her feet in the cold water and shivered. She began breathing hard, and she quickly realized that Celegorm and Curufin had blocked her way. Then she cursed.
“Well, well, well. It is pleasant to see you again, Lúthien,” the Elvin-prince said with phony cheerfulness, locking eyes with her. “You look more beautiful than I remembered. This is a wonderful reunion! I have heard that you have done quite a lot since our last meeting!”
Lúthien gave him a dark look and she said, “I had hoped that since I escaped from your webs of deceit, I would never have to look upon your face again!”
Celegorm began counting off his fingers, and his voice became filled with mockery, “You have befriended a Wolf-Hound, slaughtered Draugluin the wolf-lord as well as the sorceress, cast down Sauron, seized back Minis Tirith and rescued your pathetic lover. Tell me: Where are you and Beren headed for now? Surely you do not wish to gain more glory by going to Angband? Do you think to cast down Morgoth himself in the same way?”
“The Quest is not yet fulfilled.”
Celegorm dropped his mockery. He urged his horse forward. Lúthien took a step back. “You cannot be serious,” he said. “You have achieved many great things, Princess. It was my hound that aided you and doubtless did most of the fighting, but I have heard your magics were essential. Indeed, all the Eldar shall be grateful to you, a maiden who reclaimed for us one of our strongholds and cast down one of the greatest servants of the Enemy. I can now truly consider you my equal. I have fought in many battles but never vanquished such foes in one swift stroke as you and Huan did. You have put yourself among the greatest of the Eldar. Is that not enough?”
“How in the name of Valinor did you find us?”
“Happenstance this time. Ironic. The one moment I am not looking for you, my brother and I chance upon you on our road to the rest of our brothers.”
“So you are not to be crowned King of Nargothrond after all?” Lúthien took great pleasure at his misfortune.
“No. Our plot was foiled thanks to you!” Curufin said bitterly. “Now we are exiles. Only our brother Meadhros will receive us now.”
“Then why accost me in this way? I am worth nothing to you now.”
“Did you think that I lied when I told you that I wanted you? And did you think that I would not pursue you still? Besides, we can make use of you yet. Your father has sent his word, Lúthien. You are to be my wife and we can restore our former power through you.”
A surge of anger and dread swept over Lúthien at this and she paled a little. Could it be that her father might have approved of Celegorm? Was she merely an ornament to his kingdom? Did he not love her above all else and set her above all the princes of Beleriand? Could it be that he was tempted with Celegorm’s power, the power of his strength and voice? Did he think that she loved Celegorm and would be happy with him? Surely he had been deceived by Celegorm’s messages. Thingol hated the Sons of Fëanor!
Her doubts vanished like a puff of smoke. She shook her head, “No. You are only lying.”
“I do not lie, for it is the truth. I told him that if I found you first, we would be wedded at once. Now come with me. I had hoped that you would be alone, but we saw you speaking with Beren just a few moments ago. He wishes to leave you?”
“He does not want to hurt me,” Lúthien corrected.
“It is a shame,” Celegorm said with a wry smile. “After all you have been through, he wants to abandon you? He will leave you again, and this time, there shall be no reunion.”
“NO!”
Celegorm held out his hand. “You cannot escape from me a second time.”
“Oh, no?” Lúthien drew her new sword, a blade the men of Brethil had fashioned for her. “I know how to use it well now. Beren has taught me.”
Celegorm and Curufin scoffed at her. The blade seemed dull compared to their gleaming swords of Noldoli craft.
“You know that the more you resist me, Lúthien, the greater my desire is for you? You cannot flee from us. You and Beren are upon foot, but we are mounted. I am not leaving without you.”
“In the end you will, and not without several hurts! What have you done to Huan?” she demanded. “Celegorm, you were always mistreating him! What have you done to him?”
“He is over there,” Curufin answered, pointing.
Huan was a few yards away, watching with growing anxiety. Lúthien’s heart grew lighter at the sight of him. He was pacing and watching Lúthien. His eyes pleaded with her to take Celegorm's hand.
He would never harm you, he said with his thoughts. But I know the blood-song is upon him. He may take a life still. I cannot help you two, though I love you. There is no more you can do.
She shook her head at him and communicated forgiveness. He whimpered.
“Call for Beren,” Celegorm suddenly ordered her and there was a strange light in his eyes.
Lúthien could read his thoughts as though he were speaking them aloud. She felt the malice in him so strongly that she was petrified, and even a fool that did not have the ability to read hearts would soon guess at his plan. She knew that the sound of her cries would be Celegorm's trap for Beren.
She said desperately, “This is between you and I. Leave Beren out of it. If you must have me, then I shall go with you back to Nargothrond willingly. So be it! But leave Beren out of this!”
“I am afraid that I cannot do that even for you, my beloved,” Celegorm said soothingly, brushing her dark hair away from her face. “I cannot. While that Man lives, he shall be a trouble to you and me. I cannot have a wife when her lover is still alive, nor can I allow a thief to go free. Call for Beren! It shall be as quick and as painless as possible.”
“Curse you!”
Celegorm pivoted her toward him and pulled her into a forced kiss, and as he kissed her, he drew his sword from his sheath.
So, she thought, he means to kill me rather than let me go?
She finally made use of her weapon, though she was greatly disadvantaged. Celegorm remained mounted and his brother sat nearby on his own horse. Celegorm may not desire to harm her, but he was a master swordsman as well as huntsman. He had fought in many battles. She was yet a mere student. She slashed at him, forcing him to back off for a moment. He reared his horse and she was forced to sidestep away. Their swords kissed and rang. Then Celegorm let out a battle cry and Curufin laughed. Lúthien strained her ears and heard Beren’s hastened footsteps, and his call came falling upon her ears. The sounds of battle had drawn him in.
She began to cry, “No, Beren! Do not come any further!”
Huan let out a howl and came running to the banks of the stream, cursing to himself.
“Tinúviel!”
“It's a trap, Beren!” Lúthien cried. “It is a trap!”
It was then that Curufin swerved his horse between Lúthien and his brother, and he reached down and seized her and pulled her up into his saddle with amazing strength. He was a skilled and cunning horseman. She gave a piercing scream and tried to jump, but Curufin held on to her.
“Let her go!” Beren shouted.
“Well, Beren, it is a pleasure to see you too. So Sauron did not kill you. I am really quite surprised that he did not kill such a negligible mortal! How very unfortunate. He would have done us all a favor!”
“Abandon your assault and leave us alone! You have no right to take Tinúviel away from me!”
“You do not have any right to take her from her kin. Were you about to go with her to Angband?”
Beren did not answer. Celegorm sneered. He had caught a straw.
“Of course you were! What kind of fool are you! How could you put Lúthien in such a perilous situation? You and I both know that your quest is in vain. Did you ever think of her? Look at her now!”
He pointed to her where she sat. Her clothes were rugged and torn with travel, and she herself looked travel-worn. In her eyes was fear and distress. That was all too plain. Beren bowed his head.
“There! You see? Tell me Beren: Does Lúthien deserve that? You would condemn her to Hell? Such a thing is an unforgivable sin! She is the youth of the Eldar, a holy innocent, and I will not let you condemn her! At least I love Lúthien enough to protect her.”
Those words stung Beren, and he never did forget those words. He had known all along that his quest was hopeless. It had been made for his death, and Lúthien should never have been apart of it. He again realized all that Lúthien had been through because of him. And what Celegorm said about condemning her that was all too true. Lúthien could be risking the fires of Hell for him.
He thought about dropping his sword and letting Celegorm take Lúthien out of his love for her. She would be among her own kin. Celegorm was her own kind, and he would not die like Beren. Lúthien deserved him more than Beren deserved Lúthien. In fact, he knew he never really would deserve her. He began to think that he should never have stayed in the woods of Doriath to see her again. He should have known that he would love Lúthien without hope. She was of the Eldar, and he would have to find himself a Woman that could love him. Perhaps he could wed Morwen as Rian had asked him to. Lúthien was happy before he had come. Now she had been a prisoner and a fugitive. She had run from her own kin and had challenged the forces of darkness for him. All because of him.
Then Celegorm whispered to his horse, Thalion, and the horse sprang forward, kicking its hoofs at Beren. Beren fell to the ground, and Thalion began to bring down his hoofs to crush him underfoot, but he rolled out of the way only just in time. Lúthien screamed for him. That scream rang in Beren's ears and brought him to his senses. He sprang to his feet and raised his sword again.
“I will not let you take her, Celegorm,” he said grimly. “I love her more than you ever will, so I will not let you take her. She risked her life for me. I have yet to show her that I would risk my life for her too. This is your last chance. Leave us alone or die! That is your choice.”
“Your threat means nothing to me, Beren son of Barahir. I am skilled with the sword. You may be a good huntsman, but now we shall see how good a fighter you are!” Celegorm said, hopping down from his horse.
“The last person that challenged me in such a way ended up in two halves. It was an Orc. It seems that you have a bit of Orc blood in you, so this fight should be no different!”
Celegorm swung his sword at Beren for that insult, but Beren blocked it with his own.
“Beren, stop it!” Lúthien called to him. “Just let them take me!”
“No, Tinúviel. You are the one that is not making sense now! Our dooms shall be alike!”
Lúthien smiled weakly at these words.
“I warn you Celegorm: You are fighting a losing battle. Not only will you lose Tinúviel, but you will lose your life as well,” Beren said to Celegorm
“I could say the same for you too, Beren. Do watch out for those stones. They are quite slippery. You cannot afford one mistake. It will cost you your head.”
“That is why I will not look for stones. I may be a mortal, but I am no fool. You think I would fall for that old trick?”
Huan was watching all of this happen a few feet away. He had heard Lúthien's scream and had seen that Curufin had caught her. He glanced from Lúthien to Celegorm, trying to work out in his head what he could do to stop all of this. He whimpered in anguish. He was so confused, and he was being torn between his love for his master and his love for Lúthien and Beren. He had promised to help them in their need, and Lúthien's words when she had sent him off to his master, about how he had become a dear friend to her, echoed in his head.
But he kept remembering the face of the little Elvin-boy he had known ages ago. He remembered how the boy's eyes had lit up when Oromë handed the pup to him. He remembered how Celegorm had saved his life many years ago when no one else could, and how he had trained him to be the hound he was today. Still, he wondered how that little boy could have turned into this elf that he knew now. He could not just sit there and try to think of whom he loved greater. He had to do something about this, but what could he do, and for whom?
Perhaps he should speak? No. Words would never help him in this situation. He could not woo Celegorm from killing Beren. The deed was too firmly fixed in his head, and he wanted to fulfill his father's oath. Not only did he want to kill Beren because of the Silmarils, but because he had won Lúthien's heart. Huan had to take action. But whom was he going to help? Lúthien's cries began to ring in his ears. His mind was about to snap. He chewed at his tail in his frustration. What could he do? What could he do?
Celegorm and Beren’s swords clashed.
“Are you enjoying this, Beren?” Celegorm smirked. “You are sweating already!”
“Just over excitement.”
“You will be sweating blood soon enough!”
Lúthien turned about in the saddle and Curufin clutched her.
“You shall watch your lover die.”
“You know, Curufin,” Lúthien answered. “I despise you. I never liked you.”
Beren spun about and managed to wound Celegorm. The Elf let out a cry and Beren grinned.
“Do not be over-confident, mortal,” Celegorm said.
“Do not worry. That is not one of my strengths.”
Celegorm thrust his sword forward and Beren saved himself from being spitted with an involuntary block.
“You know,” Celegorm said. “I do not understand why you are so determined to defend Lúthien when you shall only abandon her. But what should one expect from a mortal man? They are too concerned about themselves to share their life with another, even if their lives are short and insignificant.”
“That is not true of my people,” Beren answered.
“What of your people? Your people not only want to dominate the earth and steal away what it rightfully the Elves, but you would also take our women? Those that steal away the daughters of the Eldar do not gain kinship with her kin or become immortal!”
“You tried to steal Lúthien away from her father, did you not?”
Elves tire less easily than Men do, so Beren was knocked to the ground, but he kicked Celegorm’s sword out of his hand. Then Beren rose up his sword, but Celegorm jumped back. He mounted his horse and picked up his spear. Death was near Beren, for he was too weary to rise, and the muscles in his arms were too sore to block any blow that Celegorm gave him, and Celegorm purposed to ride him down with his spear.
Curufin rode towards his brother, and Lúthien had also caused him a great deal of struggling. She now saw Celegorm raise his spear and ride towards Beren and she screamed in horror.
“Beren! Look out!”
“Be silent!” Curufin hissed and covered her mouth, muffling her cries.
That was when Huan's mind snapped and at long last, he took sides.
A great baying and snarling broke out. Huan the Wolf-Hound, born in Valinor and the greatest dog on Middle-Earth, leapt forward, charging himself at Celegorm s horse, at last forsaking his Master s service. That horse was so frightened by the sight of Huan that it stood up on its hind legs, and Celegorm s spell upon him was broken. Celegorm was thrown off, and the spear fell from his hands. Huan swept it up in his jaws before he could grab it and brought it to Beren. Beren took it and broke it in two across his knee.
Celegorm cursed his horse, and he cursed Huan too, but Huan only snickered and stood up prouder than ever. Beren rose from the ground.
“Yield yourself, Celegorm. Even Huan has left your side,” he said. “You unmasked yourself for the villain you are!”
“The House of Fëanor are no cravens!” Celegorm said in an icy voice. “We stand for justice and valor!”
Then Celegorm drew a shirt-knife out and held it up for Beren to see.
“This is Angrist. It was made long ago by the Elvin-smiths of old. What sort of steel or iron it is made of is a mystery, but it was made into the sharpest blade in all of Middle-Earth. It is indestructible, and it cuts into iron as though it were green wood. It shall cleave through your skull easily enough.”
Beren took a step back and picked up his sword.
Celegorm! Huan barked. Just remember: This is the turning point. You are no longer my Master. Never again will I serve you. I now claim Beren son of Barahir as my new Master.
Celegorm ignored the hound.
“Celegorm, please do not do this! Please!” Lúthien begged after biting Curufin's hand, looking miserable. “I will let you take me back to Nargothrond! I will be your wife! I will do anything you ask of me. But please, just spare Beren! That is all I ask of you: A little mercy.”
Celegorm hesitated. Lúthien was hopeful.
“Celegorm?”
“Take Lúthien to Himring,” Celegorm ordered his brother. “I will deal with Beren on my own!”
“NO!” Lúthien shrieked and began struggling again.
Huan took a step towards Curufin and his horse, but Curufin picked up his bow, and dipped the tip of his arrow into a bottle of poison. Then he fastened the arrow to the string. Huan froze. Lúthien stopped struggling and kept her eyes on Celegorm and the blade of Angrist.
“Take her!”
“Over my dead body,” Beren said darkly.
Then he leapt towards Curufin. It was a great leap that has been renowned in history. He leapt many feet and knocked dismounted Curufin from his horse, but Curufin had been holding onto the reins of his steed. The beast reared and fell. Lúthien sprang from the saddle only just in time to spare herself of great injury, and she lay on the grass unharmed.
Beren took away Curufin's sword and his dagger and held his own inches from his throat. Celegorm took a step towards them.
“You give me one good reason, any reason at all, and I will kill him!” Beren warned.
Celegorm halted and stood where he was, motionless. He could not risk his own brother's life.
“Throw down your knife!” Beren ordered. “Throw down your knife, and I will let your brother live to see another day!”
“You are nothing but a liar and a bluff!”
“Liar? Bluff? Do you really want to test those claims?”
Beren pulled back Curufin's head by the hair and pressed the blade of the sword to his Adam s apple. He was about to kill him, but Lúthien suddenly grabbed the hilt of the sword.
“Stop this madness!” she cried.
“Why do you call it madness? Curufin deserves no less than death, and long will Mandos hold him in his keeping.”
“I see madness in your eyes, Beren,” she told him in soft words. “You are a hunter and a foe of Morgoth. Perhaps even the greatest and the bravest of them all, but you are not a murderer. I beg of you: Spare him his life. All of us, even Celegorm and Curufin, are on the same side. We all are against Morgoth. They were after me. Now, Beren, can you look at me and honestly say that you blame them?”
I do not care about this immortal coil!
Beren I love you,” Lúthien’s voice sank to a whisper. “Do not stain yourself with Curufin's blood. Let him go.”
“All right,” Beren said reluctantly. “I will let him go as soon as the high prince throws down his knife.”
There was a moment of intense silence. Then at last, Celegorm threw down his knife.
“See, Beren?” Lúthien said to him quietly. “We have won. You must release Curufin now.”
“First, take the knife, Tinúviel. It may come in use to us.”
Lúthien cautiously picked the knife up from the ground. As she did, her eyes met Celegorm's. She shivered and handed Angrist to Beren and nodded. Beren put down his sword and threw Curufin from him.
“Now get out of here, Celegorm!” he ordered. “Go back to your noble kinsmen. Be gone, renegade fool, and let your lust cool in exile. No more work like Morgoth’s slaves or cursed Orc, proud son of Fëanor! May you learn from them what justice and valor truly is!”
Curufin rose from the ground, wiping blood away from his lip with a scowl. Then he cursed Beren under earth and sky. “Farewell! And better were you to die for hunger in the waste than by the wrath of the Sons of Fëanor. You may reach over dale and hill, but with no gem, no maid, no Silmaril. None shall ever long lie in your grasp! I curse you from rising unto sleep! Go hence unto a swift and bitter death!”
Beren was not daunted. Instead he said, “Leave Tinúviel and I in peace!”
But Curufin stooped while no one was looking, and hid his bow and arrow in his cloak and then mounted his horse. Celegorm was about to climb onto his own horse, but Beren let out a low whistle, and the horse came to him as though greeting his beloved master. Beren stroked the horse and laughed.
“Your horse, Thalion,” he said, “I keep for the service of my Tinúviel. I am sure he is quite happy to be free of such a master.”
Hear, hear! Huan barked his support.
“Yet another petty humiliation,” Curufin said. “Mortals enjoy watching their betters walk.”
He held out his hand to his brother, and Celegorm climbed up behind him on his steed as Huan howled in amusement. Celegorm continued to ignore the Wolf-Hound, though his final treachery wounded him deeply. Then Curufin snapped the reins and the brothers made their way off. Lúthien and Beren embraced one another with relief. Lúthien began sobbing into his shoulder, and Beren held her close to him and comforted her. Then Beren saw the blood upon the grass and was disgusted with himself. He knew that if Lúthien had not stopped him, he would have slain Curufin. He gave Lúthien a loving kiss in gratitude.
Curufin suddenly halted his horse, still within sight of the lovers, and brought out his bow. Celegorm saw it immediately and whom he was aiming at. He was aiming at Lúthien.
“What are you doing?” Celegorm demanded, but Curufin did not answer. His pride had been hurt, and he was full of shame. He could not stand such humility and defeat. The vengeful fire that had been kindled by losing his son and watching Celegorm lose his faithful hound to the likes of a mortal had become an open flame. He took careful aim and bent his bow.
“Stop!” Celegorm commanded and seized the bow from him. “Damn you!”
But it was too late. His brother had already let loose two arrows. “Let death be her lover now!” he cried.
Lúthien had not seen the bow, but she heard the whistling as the arrows came. Huan leapt up in front of her and caught the first arrow between his teeth, but the second arrow whizzed past his ear. It was too late to catch it, and it was bent on the same target, and Lúthien had no time to dodge it. She closed her eyes, resigning to the coaxing of death, waiting for the arrow to rip through her heart and stop its unceasing labor, but then she heard Beren cry out, and he sprang in front of her.
“NO!” she screamed.
She grabbed hold of him to throw him with her to the ground to dodge the shaft, but she was too late. Beren felt the arrow tear into his flesh. He let out a cry from the pain, and Huan let out a howl. Then Beren fell, but Lúthien, falling to her knees, caught him before he could hit the ground. Despair and fear overtook her. She cried out and cradled Beren in her arms as he writhed with pain.
Huan sniffed at Beren to make sure he was still alive, and then he let out another howl and chased after Curufin and Celegorm in a rage that not even Draugluin the wolf-lord had caused him. He looked as terrifying as Draugluin himself. He tore after the brothers, baying and snarling. He did not return for a long while. The Wolf-Hound pursued the brothers even as far as the outskirts of the forest and beyond. Celegorm cursed the hound, and Curufin let his quiver run empty, but Huan dodged all of the arrows or caught them in his jaws, gnawing on them and spitting them out. Only the speed of their horse saved them.
Then Huan at last became weary of the hunt and realized that Beren could be dying in Lúthien's arms, and he sought out a special herb that could heal Beren and deliver him from death's door.
“Oh no!” Lúthien moaned. “Beren! What did you do? Can you hear me?”
The tears began to fall from her eyes. She looked out into the distance, fearing the brothers would return to finish the kill, but Celegorm and Curufin were gone and Huan had followed them. He may be in danger as well. She had no hope of following him on two legs, and Beren’s blood flowed before her eyes. Even though Lúthien was learned in the arts of healing, she had had little practice. In Doriath illness and injury was rare and she knew little to nothing about mortals’ fragile bodies.
“They tried to kill you!”
“Yes! They tried to kill me. Never have you done a more foolish thing, Beren! That arrow was mine to bear! It was mine!”
Beren tried to argue but let out a cry of pain. Lúthien studied his wound closely, and there was a grave look on her face. All of her knowledge returned to her in a flood. His life may depend upon her memory and judgment.
“There is good news and bad news,” Lúthien said with a trembling voice. “The good news is: The arrow missed your heart. The bad news is: I have never before treated a mortal. They are less easy to heal.”
“And if you would have been the target, and not me, Tinúviel, it would have pierced your heart and killed you instantly.”
“That is no excuse!” Lúthien said angrily. “Why did you spring in front of me? I would have never had such a wound! The first arrow was aimed well enough, and Huan saved me once again. The other arrow was aimed poorly. My shoulder only would have been pierced, and I cannot pull that arrow out for your sake! I know for certain that you would bleed to death!”
“I put myself in your place for once.”
“If only I had let you kill Curufin,” she said bitterly. “If you had taken his life then, he would have never had the chance to fire his cursed arrows! Now you could die!”
“No, Tinúviel! I am glad you stopped me! Slaughtering Orcs is one thing, but I am afraid that killing a Man or Elf for vengeance is quite another tale. If you do not believe that, Tinúviel , why did you stop me?”
Lúthien paused at that question and said in answer, “I regret it now!”
She decided pulling the arrow through was safer than pulling it out. She rolled Beren to his side, warning him that there would be pain. She rolled up her sleeves and clasped her hands around the end of the arrow.
“No!” Beren managed to choke out.
“It is all right. Just trust me, and do not move a muscle.”
Lúthien kissed his brow and then pulled the arrow out as slowly and as gently as she could. In a few agonizing moments, she pulled the arrow through and wrapped Beren’s wound tightly with leaves. The blood soaked through. She had never seen so much blood. The sight made her queasy, and his pain was obvious.
“Well, at least I will not have to force you to go home,” he muttered. “Once I am dead, you will return to Menegroth. At least your father shall be happy at the news.”
“Do not say such things, Beren! Right now, just try to save yourself by not talking! I do not want to lose you until I have to!”
Just then, Huan returned. He dropped something at Lúthien's feet and wagged his tail anxiously. She held it up and realized that they were leaves, but they were not ordinary leaves.
“Athelas leaves!” Lúthien gasped with astonishment. “I had thought that such a plant did not exist in this part of the world! Huan, you may have very well just brought me a miracle!”
There had been many legends about athelas leaves. Men later called the plant King's foil. According to legend, Yavanna the Valier planted them ages ago when Morgoth sent a plague with a chill wind from the Iron Mountains that struck down the little children of Man. Its healing power was said to be great. Bathing any wound with the athelas leaves was said to cause the wound to heal rapidly, and it also fought the cause of illnesses as well as relieving any pain. If these legends were true and not only myth, Lúthien could save Beren!
“Huan, watch over Beren. I must hurry to the river and fetch water.”
Huan nodded.
Lúthien ran off to the river while Huan watched over Beren. Lúthien returned a few moments later, running as fast as she could with some water. Hastily, she crushed the leaves and mixed it with the water. The sweet scent of the leaves calmed her down.
“I have to bathe your wound, Beren,” she said soothingly to him. “The arrow is no longer a problem. The leaves will deaden the pain and hopefully the bleeding. I just hope that the legends about them are true.”
Then Lúthien bathed the wound. Beren sighed in relief. He hardly felt any pain at all. The bleeding was quenched. The next morning, the wound had healed before their eyes, leaving no trace of a wound and leaving little pain for Beren to suffer. Lúthien smiled.
“Thank the Valar!” she sighed. “The legends are true! There is healing magic in these leaves! Can you stand?”
“Yes, but I prefer to sit.”
He cupped her face into his hands.
“You are the bravest Woman or Elf-maid to ever walk the earth, nightingale.”
“And you are the bravest Man or Elf of all time, Beren,” she answered.
Huan stepped up to Beren, presenting his neck.
“He wants you to take off his collar, Beren,” Lúthien whispered.
“His collar? Why?”
“It was the collar that Celegorm gave him. I do not think he wants to covet any gift that his old master gave him.”
“Does that mean you have abandoned your master for good?”
Huan nodded.
“He shall journey with us- for a while,” Lúthien explained. “I do not think Celegorm or Curufin will ever pursue us again.”
Then Beren removed the collar from Huan's neck, and the hound dragged it away and at last cast it into the river where it sank and was lost forever. He stared after it until he could no longer see it sink. Then he returned to his new masters without a glance back.

No comments:

Post a Comment